I remember writing book reports and papers in grade school and learning to answer 6 basic questions to cover a topic thoroughly – who, what , when, where, why, and how? By answering these questions, I knew that I had the necessary facts to get a handle on anything.
So when thinking about my future, I decided to use this same approach. Now don’t get me wrong…I know that life is a lot more complicated and messy than a grade school book report. I also understand that there are many questions regarding trials and troubles and tragedies for which I may never find a simple, specific or comprehensible answer. But if I step back and look to eternity, God’s Word provides me with hope and assurance and comfort to build a great life as I strive to be like the woman described in Proverbs 31:25 who “smiles at the future.”
1. WHO holds my future? “But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord. I say, ‘You are my God.’ My times are in Your hands.” Psalm 31:14-15a
2. WHAT will my future ultimately bring? An eternity filled with joy (Psalm 16:11) where neither tears nor pain (Revelation 21:4) nor darkness (Revelation 22:5) will exist!
3. WHEN does my future start? It begins anew each moment I draw breath, but this earthly existence is limited (Hebrews 9:27). On a day which only God knows, this Earth will pass away (Acts 1:7) and then my heavenly existence will begin.
4. WHERE is my future? In scripture, I learn that I have a home prepared for me (John 14:2) with God in heaven (I Peter 1:4). And I want to only and always walk the path that leads there (Psalm 16:11; Matthew 7:14)!
5. WHY do I have such a wonderful future in store? Well…let me answer “how” first and then come back to this!
6. HOW is my future secured and how can I be assured of reaching it? Christ’s blood – nothing more, nothing less – secures my future in Heaven (I John 1:7) and I must simply hold fast to Him (Hebrews 3:6, 10:23) to reach there.
So, back to number five, why? WHY will I someday get to spend eternity with the Creator of this Universe who holds in His right hand “pleasures forever” (Psalm 16:11)? Am I someone special, do I have some secret knowledge, did I pass some strenuous test or have I done something extraordinary to deserve this? No, no, no and no! The simple answer to “why” is because God loves me (John 3:16-17).
Thus I can easily answer the six basic questions about my future with confidence, not fear, because it has been God’s plan from the beginning of time to bring me home to Him (2 Timothy 1:9). I know this because His Word clearly tells me (I John 5:13). But these answers can be yours too! God’s promises aren’t reserved for just a special few, they are for everyone (2 Peter 3:9)! He loves you and He’s just waiting for you to accept His gift. Your future is up to you…how will you answer these 6 questions?
by Perizada Buchanan