“Packages and letters, the joy of receiving little remembrances of home, are invaluable (even if they are ‘material things’)… It doesn’t always have to be something big. Even the little tokens of home are a treat!… These types of things bring sunshine and fond remembrances of home to our lives! The cost for air mail to Vanuatu is very expensive* and many people are reluctant to send things our way because of it. In all actuality, you can fit a lot into a 6×9 padded envelope and the cost is roughly $10, depending on the weight. Why is it so difficult to part with $10 for shipping a package overseas and yet so easy to drop $10 at McDonalds? Think about it!”
*If $10 will get a package to Vanuatu (one of the more expensive places), the cost to ship to other foreign fields is likely much less. Check with the post office for rates and regulations for the country you wish to mail to. The post office is usually the cheapest way to ship abroad.
- Bookmarks, postcards, note cards, small gifts for the missionary to give to locals.
- Clipped articles you enjoy from magazines, newspapers, bulletins, etc.
- Packets of seasoning mixes (taco seasoning, Italian dressing, Ranch dressing, sauce mixes, etc.), packets of drink mixes (Kool-Aid, hot cocoa, apple cider, etc.), packets of sweetener (sugar, Splenda, etc.).
- Ziplock baggies in various sizes, folded up grocery sacks
- Fun, flat packaged treats (Dream Whip, Air Heads, Pop Rocks, microwave popcorn, Razzles, fruit snacks, Sugar Daddies, etc.)
- Pictures of your family, church happenings, other “normal” things
- A new movie on DVD
- Bookmarks, postcards, note cards, etc. inscribed to the missionary with notes of encouragement from you, your family, and/ or your Bible class
- Tide-to-Go pen (or the like), other on-the-go niceties
- Colored pens, pencils, highlighters, etc. to brighten up things they write or to use in children’s classes
- iTunes gift card
- Post-it notes, notepads, sheets of stickers, notebook paper hole reinforcers, other stationary items.
P.S. This list could go on and on. If you have suggestions, please leave a comment… especially if you yourself are a missionary… what do you wish for?